Many thanks to our contestants at our first ever Iron Chef Competition. Chef Eric’s team comprised of Patti Estrabook, Mary Kallusky, Sharon King Peterson, Hope Pettinger and Chef Jake’s team of Roula Younes, Marcy Tonkin, Victoria McCurley, Judy Diamond and Nhu Forrest. They battled it out in our Kitchen Stadium and it was a fierce battle, so fierce that our judges: Tandy Bowers, Tim Haidinger and Sally Schreter could not make a decision. Our contestants are all winners!
One of the dishes made on Chef Eric’s team by Hope Pettinger was a delicious corn dish which pairs well with the Ahi Tuna. This dish would also match well with chicken, beef or served as a side.
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
4-5 ears of corn husk removed
1 jalapeño pepper
1 Serrano chili pepper
1 Pasilla chili pepper
1/2 red onion diced
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup heavy cream (may need more or less)
Salt and Pepper
Chives minced for garnish
1) Rub a small amount of oil on the corn and put on hot grill turning occasionally until kernels begin to brown. Remove kernels.
2) Over an open flame or grill, char the peppers until the skin is burnt around most of the peppers.
3) Put in a zip lock bag and let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove skin and seeds, chop.
4) In a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet on high heat, coat the bottom of pan with oil.
5) Add corn and stir constantly for a minute or 2. Add red onion, and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium high and cook stirring often until onion is softened.
6) Add peppers and butter. Continue sautéing for a few minutes.
7) Lower heat to medium and add cream a small amount at a time stirring and allowing the cream to absorb.
8) Continue adding cream until it is the consistency you prefer. You can keep corn on warm until ready to be served. Stirring often. It just keeps getting better!
9) Sprinkle with chives just before serving.