Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs
1/3 cup of Ketchup
1/3 cup of Light brown sugar
1/3 cup of Soy sauce (Low-sodium)
1/4 cup of Pineapple juice
4 tbsp. of Olive oil (divided, plus more for brushing grill)
1 1/2 tbsp. of Rice vinegar
4 garlic Cloves (minced – 4 tsp.)
1 tbsp Ginger (fresh, minced)
1/2 tsp. of Sesame oil
TT Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 3/4 lb. of Chicken breast meat (chopped into 1 1/4-inch cubes)
3 cups of Pineapple (fresh, cubed – about 3/4 of 3 lb.)
1 ½ each Green peppers (diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces)
1 ½ each Red onion (diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces)
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, 2 Tbsp of olive oil, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil.
2. Stir in 3/4 tsp. of pepper and season with salt, if desired. Place chicken in a gallon size resalable bag. Reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade in refrigerator then pour remaining marinade over chicken. Seal bag and refrigerate for 1 hour. Meanwhile soak 10 wooden skewer sticks in water for 1 hour.
3. Preheat a grill over medium heat to 400 degrees.
4. Meanwhile, drizzle the remaining of olive oil over red onion, bell pepper and pineapple, and toss altogether. Season red onion and bell pepper with salt and pepper, then thread red onion, bell pepper, pineapple and chicken onto skewers until all chicken has been used.
5. Brush grill grates with olive oil then place skewers on grill. Grill for 5 minutes then brush along tops with 1/4 cup of remaining marinade. Rotate to opposite side and brush remaining 1/4 cup of marinade on opposite side and allow to grill for about 4 minutes longer, or until chicken is cooked. Serve warm.
I hope you will enjoy!
~ Eric Wadlund