2 Apples (large, peeled and cored, then halved vertically)
1 Cooking spray
4 tbsp. of Brown sugar (divided)
2 1/2 tbsp. of Butter (melted and divided)
3/4 tsp. of Cinnamon (ground, divided)
2 tbsp. of Old-fashioned rolled oats
1 tsp. of All-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. of Kosher salt
1 1/2 cups of Vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Starting at the outermost edges, cut most (but not all) of the way through each apple half at 1/8-inch intervals. Starting at the outermost edges, cut most (but not all) of the way through each apple half at 1/8-inch intervals.
3. Combine 1 tbsp. of sugar, 1 tbsp. of butter, and 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon. Brush mixture evenly over apple.
4. Cover pan with foil; bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the apples from the oven and remove the foil.
6. Place the apples back in the oven bake for an additional 10 minutes or until apples are tender.
7. Remove pan from oven; cool 10 minutes.
8. Combine remaining 3 tbsp. of sugar, remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. of butter, remaining 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon, oats, flour, and salt. Carefully fan open apple halves. Spoon oat mixture evenly over apples and bake at 400° for 10 minutes.
9. Turn broiler to high (leave pan in oven); broil 2 minutes. Serve with ice cream
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 apple half and approx. 1/3 cup of ice cream)
I hope you will all enjoy it.
~ Chef Eric Wadlund